Numbers8 or more
EquipmentBalls, Cones, Shields
- Place a shield holder on four corners of a 10m x 10m square grid or smaller
- Select a working group of 4 attackers.
- On command/direction of the coach, the attackers work to a nominated shield holder
- In one minute the attack group of players must perform as many repetitions of activity as they can on all four corner shields. Contact Options to perform:
- Hit and Pop
- Hit and Present
- Hit, Present and Clear Out
- Hit and Pop- Low body position, pump legs - Move ball away from pad onto hip in two hands - Keep head up and look forward (chin off chest) - Free your arms offload to support
- Hit and Present - On contact with the floor, player must attempt to stretch ball back to own team (Long lay & placement)
- Hit and Present and Clear Out - Support player must anticipate ball carriers actions and clear away the threat (shield)
Variation / Progression
- Add another 4 player working group into square.
- Line up shields across pitch so players have to attack in same direction (nominate scrum half and add additional groups of 4 attack players opposite each shield)
- Add in 2 bags per corner or a second contesting defensive player to support shield holder
- Remove shields from corners and add live defenders
- Include decisions to clear or seal or play ball
This resource has been tagged...