Numbers12 or more
EquipmentBalls, Cones, Shields
- 1 v 1 tackling in a 5m x 5m grid/ ensure no other working groups are near area
- Ball carrier is the attacker and the player without the ball is the defender
- Use of ball encourages tackled player to assist fall to ground & allow ball carrier to be developed in presentation technique
- Hands up ("boxers hands"), chin up off chest into squat position
- Lower the hips just prior to contact, wrap arms around ball carriers legs (band of steel grip)
- Head to be on the side of the thigh, go with the momentum and take the tackle- half twist during tackle will assist head positioning.
- Get onto your feet as soon as possible after tackle is complete
Variation / Progression
- Variations In speed - Slow to fast
- Start off with tackler in squat position, progress to tackler jogging.
- Work both shoulders, left and right
- Work on tackler regaining feet and contesting ball
This resource has been tagged...